So my dear husband is acting this week and next in the annual open air Shakespeare amateur production by the Masque. It's the first time he's done any Shakespeare even though he's been acting for years and I'm really proud of him.
He's playing the Friar and it's first night tonight! So in honour of such grand thespian pursuits I made this little memento using stash I haven't used yet.
To be honest the creation was one of those ooh "actually I think I'd rather use the bits that were going to go in the bin rather than the shapes I meant to cut" moment. The original idea was to cut two shapes from the Vintage Cabinet Card die, one as a base plate and then the second cut in half vertically to make doors. But then when I cut the shapes from mount board I really liked the waste and how they stacked together to make a really deep recess for an aperture. So I cut a back board to act as a base plate and set to work colouring and stamping.
The background was paper I painted in stone colours and used Distress inks and stains in old linen, wild honey, pumice, crushed olive and tea dye. As luck would have it the PaperArtsy Arched Apertures stamp fitted perfectly in the recess so that was stamped as a repeat across the card in grey stazon. Bit more inking to tone it all down.
For the top of the aperture I again coloured some paper cut out the shape and ran it through the bricks embossing folder, more stains on top finally finishing with some black to highlight some bricks and the aperture.
Finally the balcony, I coloured a scrap of paper with the same paints and inks and used the PaperArtsy stamp Swirls and Curls 4 to suggest ironwork. This was mounted on a scrap of mount board to raise up from the aperture to give some depth.
I'm quite pleased with the result - as is the thesp!
If you like it too then why not leave a comment, it would be great to hear what you think.