Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Distressed at lack of distress!

So Grungy Monday this week was to use Tim Holtz distress stickles. Going to my stash box of stickles, metallic paint, perfect pearls etc (I suppose I should call it the glitzy box)  I was somewhat dismayed to find only 2 (yes only 2) distress stickles: pine needles and rock candy. 

To add to the distress and panic,  my local Hobbycraft is closed for the week for a refit, so I couldn't even go for a quick stash dash (try saying that after a few too many vodkas)!
Anyway a few deep breaths saw me calm down a bit and focus on the task in hand.

I've had the weathered clock die for ahem "a few weeks" and I haven't got round to using it along with an associated embossing folder, so a clock tag it was and as I was limited to basically green that pretty much dictated the colour scheme.

I cut the clock from white card, put on some peeled paint distress stain and added some pine needles and vintage photo distress ink. Added some daubs of pine needles distress stickles, not all over just in some places to look,  distressed and well you know - weathered!

Whilst that was drying I started work on the tag.  I used rusty hinge distress stain all over and then added some spiced marmalade distress ink in places  I then ran the tag through the clocks embossing folder and added some pine needles and vintage photo to highlight the embossed bits.  

It was a bit too bright for me, so I swiped a white paint dabber over in places and rubbed back almost immediately to remove the excess and tone down the colour. Finally added some rock candy distress stickles on some of the raised areas for a bit more sparkle.

By this time the clock face was dry so I glued that down where I wanted it, cut off the excess and stuck the remaining bit at the top (waste not want not!).  Stamped the PaperArtsy hours, minutes, second and attached to the bottom of the tag with the mini staples
It was looking good at this stage but I thought it needed just a little something else on the right hand side to fill in the gap.  So out again with the the clock from the PaperArtsy Clocks 4 plate. (a quick look on the PaperArtsy site reminds me that there are other clock plates I don't have and rather like ....) 

I cut a circle from card, painted all over with snowflake PaperArtsy fresco paint, added distress stains and inks in pumice, rusty hinge and stamped the clock face in grey stazon and clear embossing powder. Daubed a bit more rock candy distress stickles over the top - panicked as it moved the ink around and then left it to dry.  Stuck it onto the card with some foam pads slightly off the edge but filling the circle neatly.

So considering I only had 2 products to take part in this challenge I don't think I did too badly! 




  1. Oh I have loads of Rock Candy Stickles and no others! Soooo glad it's not just me! However limited you were this is just gorgeous!

  2. I think you did outstanding Jo, love the distressed/grungy feel to this tag, and ohhhh so loving the Pine Needles Stickles on the weathered clock .... fab, thanks for joining in with the fun:)

  3. I agree with Gillian - outstanding! I love all the little details. I don't have a lot of Distress Stickles either, but this just proves that you can do great things without having an entire store of products. Love that clock from PA too - looks so real!

  4. Really very awesome. The great thing about these challenges and not having much in the way of product is that it really gets those creative juices going. I end up creating something I probably wouldn't have otherwise thought of. The colors on this tag are absolutely perfect!

  5. i luuuuurve the clock die and with this weathered look it even more awesome. i just found you a nickname: the queen of texture! yeah! :)))


Thanks for leaving a comment!