Saturday, 19 March 2011

Miss Kate's sewing shop

I can honestly say I have a bit of a problem when it comes to crafting. I need to work in order to be able purchase essential new supplies, but then don't have enough time to craft as I have to work. So until we win the lottery or I divorce my husband for a rich sugar daddy I have to accept I'm going to have to continue working in order to pay for this habit.

So last week I introduced my best friend Kate to crafting as part of my birthday treat and we went to a workshop at LB Crafts with the delightful Lin.  Kate had never done any paper or metal craft before and readily admitted she found it difficult to move away from a plan and do her own thing. That notion didn't last long and she took to it all like the proverbial duck to water.  Her husband is now cursing me and we are planning regular crafting sessions at my house.

Anyways whilst at LB I of course shopped and came away with some new dies and stamps from Mr Holtz, notably the dress stand die.  I couldn't wait to play.

I have another friend called Kate who lives in Washington DC.  I've known this Kate for over 25 years and it was her birthday a few weeks go.Last year when we visited her it was obvious from how her house was decorated that shabby chic was a favourite.

An idea formed, I could try out this new die and related stamps and make a shabby chic piece of art for Kate.

I had great fun making and finally finished off this morning (that work thing plus other stuff kept getting in the way).

I painted an IKEA frame in watered down white acrylic with some new butterscotch spray ink, and touched up with some walnut DI.  Inside the frame is a piece of Tim paper aged with some walnut and over stamped in Mahogany with the new Papillion text.

From one A5 sheet of Grungeboard I cut a dress form and loads of spools and buttons. 
The dress form was inked with expresso spray ink on the legs and head section and tissue tape stuck on top.  This was aged with some walnut and a waste piece of linen wrapped round the waist of the form. 

The spools were painted with cranberry spray ink and watered down acrylic and over stamped with the London stamp from Papillion in old paper. Various bits of thread and ribbon were Wound round and some attached with bead topped pins. The buttons were painted the same way but this time vintage velveteen DI was used to add a slight bit of colour.  Brown embroidery thread was added through the holes.  the edges of the buttons and the spools were aged with walnut.

The ruler was from Tim's Curiosities plate using (I think) Bronzed God metal,stamped in Stazon and then using a Teflon tipped tool to highlight the numbers and markings.  finally stuck onto black card to give some strength. 

The label at the bottom was cut from mountboard using the Styled Labels die, distressed using old paper and walnut DI and then Miss Kate's sewing shop stamped in victorian velveteen.  Some tiny cup hooks and jump rings used to attach to the picture frame.

Various buttons, ribbon and a Tim ticket were added to further embellish. And for the first time this year I was able to take my photo's outside in the sunshine  - yes we've finally got some sun and warmth!

Now all I've got to do is get it shipped to the States in one piece - wish me luck!



  1. How fantastic is this - your friend Kate will love this, though I would be hard pressed to part with it!!

  2. WOW !! This is just stunning, that die is my fav at the mo! i am a little green as I so want to go to LB crafts to you I need a sugar daddy to fund it all!! hope you had a great day, love what youve made xx

  3. Hi jo
    me again, thanks for the comment, You are so right about the lace, I only had a scrap left so was to chicken to ink it up so i stuck in on but Im not happy wiith it, when Iget more I may change it thanks for being so honest, it is great that we are able to share ideas etc .....


Thanks for leaving a comment!