So much for keeping on track with Kate's calendar challenge, it's already Day 6 and I'm only just posting and I didn't manage to fill in last month's - must try harder!
Anyways February, did you know the word February derives from the Latin for purgation (februum) and is traditionally the month for purification. To the Anglo Saxons it was Solmonath or mud month and February 2nd is Imbolc the first day of spring in the Celtic calendar and also Candlemas Day.
All facts bought to you courtesy of Brewers Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, a classic reference text in any library worth it's salt - meaning worth ones pay from the roman tradition of paying soldiers with salt - a highly valued expensive commodity hence salary (I'll stop now before I bore you to death with any more of my amazing facts).
Of course something also happens on the 14th which often dictates crafting themes this month. I decided that I'd go with the colour (a bit) but not the symbol!
Started off with two 12x12 card stock that had a pinky base. I painted on Very Berry Fresco Finish paint very roughly and then dry brushed some Claret over that. Stuck the big swirl mask from Tim Holtz on top and went over with some Sherbet Fresco Finish, didn't quite like the effect so added a bit more Sherbet down the page to cover it up a bit, I liked it now!
Misted over Black Cherry Glimmer Mist, some areas heavier than others.
Using a circle stencil added some circles in Victorian Velvet Distress Stain and circled those with a fine liner. Also added some Dusty Concord Distress Stain circles as well.
I have a fab largish wooden stamp with text and a pomegranate design that I used all over the card stock stamping in maroon Archival ink. Also added some large swirls in black Archival.
Each day is cut from white card painted with Sherbet Fresco Finish, with a light spray of Black Cherry Glimmer mist and inked round the edges in Walnut Stain Distress Ink. The days of the week were printed on the computer (I haven't added a month label yet as I can't decide whether to stamp or print!)
The winged ladies were a necessity to cover up some mistakes in sticking, text paper with Victorian Velvet Distress Stain and then a gorgeous PaperArtsy stamp in black Archival, edges in Walnut Distress Stain. (I really like how the ladies have turned out and I have one left over which I'll use on an 8x8 scrapbook page that follows a similar layout to this - with some black stitching of course).
Finally added some Tim Holtz butterflies in maroon Archival and some splats of Brick Red Distress Stain.
The photo's aren't fantastic I'm afraid as I did them last night, I had hoped to do them again when i got in tonight as it was still light driving home but didn't make it back in time, 10 minutes earlier (I blame learner drivers and an ambulance) and I might have been ok!
Till next time,