Monday 21 April 2014

Faded rose

Texture, mixed media, tactile, monotone, these words when combined with art make me happy and when I can create art that uses all these elements it makes me really happy.


Yet again this is another one of my photos of one of the roses in my garden, it was taken last autumn and I couldn't believe the faded almost papery orange colour on the rose as it slowly died. I've used it before and I will continue to use it in my art as it is one of my most favourite images. 

For the image I took some card and painted it in soft creams and stamped some text in Watering Can Archival. I then image transferred it eh rose using PaperArtsy Satin Glaze.  One I'd rubbed off the backing paper, I put one coat of glaze on, dried it and then scrunched up the card and then added more layers of glaze.  Finally some Vintage Photo Distress Stain around the edges.  

Words cannot describe how pleased I was with this, the bits of image missing the hole on the side, the creases. It looks like an old photo that has been lying in the bottom of the box or drawer, lost and forgotten. Contented sigh.

I really wanted to make something with a lot of fabric so stuck some linen to felt using bondaweb and then hessian on top of the linen. I also used strips of different fabric to make the central fabric panel as well. 

The large panel had Grunge Paste scraped on and then through a stencil around the edges as I knew everything else would be be in the middle of the fabric so no point in stencilling there!.

I wanted to keep most of the canvas quite neutral but pick up some of the colours in the image transfer to tie it altogether.  Toffee and Irish Cream Fresco paint were added in places and a little bit of  London Bus watered down plus some Hey Pesto.

The book panel at the back used twinkling H2Os (another old collection lurking in the back of the cupboard) they gave a fantastic colour wash that I then sprayed over with watered down nougat to soften and a little bit of watered down Hey Pesto. 

Lots of stitching (once I got mum to sort my machine out, thanks mum) alcohol inked staples, eyelets, flowers, tags. tissue paperleather, felt and string (lots of texture!).

At the moment this is clipped to a large A4 clipboard, it might stay like that or I might (probably should) stick to a canvas in order to add the stairs gallery. 

I can see myself using this image quite a lot, I have three more of these cracked and distress transfers, perhaps I should make some smaller canvases and start and Etsy shop???

Hugs
jo
xx



12 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, and wow Jo, I share your excitement. Totally my kind of art. The Rose looks scrumptious and the layering of fabrics are delicious. Notice the eyelets again, becoming a feature and one that I must remember to pinch. Carry on getting excited, good for you! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that photo of the rose last time and it's just perfect used again here - what a triumph, no wonder you're happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh lurvely, great grungy background xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. Fascinated by the way you transferred the rose image. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely - the faded beauty is perfect!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another stunning piece Jo!! I love it...you've have made good use of you little holiday from work lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Art really blows away Jo. Love it love it love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fascinating and I've seen many times this photo. Etsuko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab, fab, fab! Jo, you should definitely have an Etsy shop. These images make great canvases and your mastery of texture is terrific! A feast for the eyes! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Jo, sorry I'm so late getting to see this. It is really beautiful. The different layers & textures look great together & the rose is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!