Well this will be a short post just to show you what a I did (really Jo, that's not like you, do you think you can really be that short in your description?).
I'd been playing with the Dreamweaver crackle paste and covered a square of 7x7" card. Love the really fine cracks it gives and the bubbling where I heated it. Added various brown PaperArtsy fresco paints lightly so as not to cover the cracks, some Archival inks in blues, some Glimmer Mists in reds and blues and finally some Treasure Gold. Lovely shimmery distressed decayed leather look.
The base card was 11x11" plum colour, sprayed with the red, plum, blue and cold Glimmer Mists and stamped with a large text stamp in Plum Archival and Darcy's cogs which were embossed with a burgundy embossing powder.
Stitched the small card onto the big card.
Slathered some Grunge Paste which had been coloured with Squid Ink over the middle in as strip, dried it a bit and then added LOADS of Frantage and WOW embossing powders to get that thick molten metal mineral look I wanted to stamp the stamps in. I first inked up the Darcy heart (I used both sizes) with black ink, heated a section of the powders to melt them and then stamped the stamp in it, leaving if for a bit to set and harden and moved on to the next.
Finally I painted some twinkling H2Os in a red over the hearts, it sort of sank into the hollows or sat in small splodges on top. Wasn't what I was quite expecting, but I like it and I think it adds to the grungyness.
Yum, yum yum!