Grungy, shabby, distress, ripped, layers, collage, depth, that pretty much sums up my art and this encompasses all of that.
I've had the idea of strips of distressed card layered onto more card for ages, its sometime I do with fabric and I wanted to see how it translated to card.
Picture heavy, but I know that's what everyone likes!
I started by creating an master board using a PaperArtsy paints. I brayered and wiped,, scraped and stencilled with Buff, Cherry Red, Garnet, Vanilla and Chartreuse.
Then I created a large collage style stamping plate using a variety of Ink and the Dog stamps and stamped over the card with Red Geranium Archival and finally some stamping of numbers in Watering Can Archival. A light wash of Chalk was put on to soften everything down.
This master board was then cut into 1cm strips and the edges distressed.
The strips were then glued down onto a black background, make sure they aren't in the order you cut them, you want a random look so that the stamping isn't prominent and acts as just another layer of contrast and creates the depth.
Finally I cut a heart shape and edged with Distress inks in Brick Red and Walnut Stain after gently distressing the edges.
The background canvas had a lot of layers of die cut shapes, a sheet of paper and text paper.
This then had washes of Mud Splat, Snowflake and Chalk, stamping using the mash up Ink and the Dog plate in Watering Can and water colour pencil mark. Quite a few layers of wash went over the top to soften it all don so that the heart would stand out. In the centre I added some watered down Mud Splat which acts a bit like burnt umber to get that stained aged look.
Once glued the heart was edged with water colour pencils to further define the heart.
Some close ups to see all that lovely grungy texture!
Really pleased how this turned out and Id now like to have a go with a neutral palette for the heart, off white, grey, silver or possibly gold, umm Ive got lots of sparkly Frantage stuff I could use ....