Sunday 1 July 2012

Just a touch of texture

Well it's been a bit like the plague house here in the Shires, both John and I have had stinkin colds, he's had his for over a fortnight and finally went to the Docters on Friday to be diagnosed with bronchitis and still running a temperature! Me, well I've had lots of coughing, wheezing and varaible vocal changes. I have two presentations to give on Tuesday and seeing as the lady on the cheese counter at Sainsburys couldn't understand me today it could an interesting experience.

I started working on this yesterday, all the "bits" (well fabric) had been laying on my workdesk all week to be honest but just didn't have the energy to play. I really enjoyed reading about Fran.tage in the July Craft Stamper and having purchased some delights at The Stamp Attic I was keen to give it a go.

I started off with a chipboard flower which I painted in Fresco Finish paints in French Roast, Chocolate Pudding and Irish Cream.  Whilst the top layer of paint was still wet I sprinkled on some Stampendous Aged Ivory embossing powder, Some Nutmeg embossing powder and some Antique Photo Distress embossing powder.  I then had to carefully heat it all to get it to melt - now that was a fun experience.  

After I'd added some more embossing powders as my long cylinder heatgun blew it away first time (and second) I managed to get it to melt and bubble ( I ended up doing it quite high and from underneath as well - me thinks I need a new heat gun).  I then used some glossy accents to add some crushed up Stampendous Tarnished mica flakes.

I am SERIOUSLY liking this stuff and want MORE. 

A metal flower and snap fastner coloured with alcohol ink added to the centre. The stem was a peice of florist wire covered in tissue tape.

As per usual there are lots of layers all stiched on.  From the bottom up we have:
  • a peice of frayed linen
  • a peice of book text inked in Brushed Cordory Distress Ink and Picket Fence Distress Stain.  A Swirl inked in Coffee Artchival and some Antique Photo Distress Embossing powder
  • a small peice of PaperArtsy Crunchy Waxed Kraft Paper stamped and scrunched.
  • a peice of off white cotton
  • a peice of frayed hessian
 
An oblong of Kraft card was inked in Frayed Burlap and Brushed Cordorouy, cut with a die to give the perforated page hole on the left look. A ledger stamp stamped in Coffee Archival and Antique Photo Distress Embossing Powder.

Some more fabric and ribbon across this and some lace and ribbon top left. I then decided to hand sew an awful lot of buttons, beads and pearls on (well I say an awful lot, not really but you know what I mean).  

Everything was stuck onto a lovely painted and distressed IKEA frame.  

So that's what I created in between coughing and sleeping and blowing my nose and coughing and drinking like a teetotal fish. I really enjoyed the hand sewing and think I'd like to do more, perhaps on a bigger scale .... 

hugs

jo
xx



5 comments:

  1. Well if you make beauties like this when you're sick.... love it Jo. Hope you get better soon and managed to get through your presentations. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so BEAUTIFUL!!! Hope you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Jo, this is just simply stunning! Am so sorry you've been so poorly but your creativity hasn't suffered one bit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...WOWzers Jo, how loVely is this, that flower is sooo yummy, your patience paid off big time (it's so annoying when the powder has a mind of it's own!)...beautiful...Mel :)
    Hope you & Hubby feel better real soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jo, hope you are feeling a little perkier this morning. You would never know that you were feeling rubbish when you made this beauty, It's gorgeous, really like all the neutral colours and layering....just lovely!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!